Friday, January 28, 2005

Neat Quotes

Found at http://www.theotherjournal.net/:

"I’m not mad at liberals who want to perform some procedural form of democracy. What I am upset about are Christians who think that is their primary task in the world in which we find ourselves. And I want them to remember that our first task is to be the church of Jesus Christ, that’s our politics. " - Stanley Hauerwas

"Evangelicals tend to turn the gospel in a system of belief rather than a body of people through which we are embraced through God’s salvation that makes us different." - Stanley Hauerwas

"There's a big argument right now as to whether American Flags should be in churches... I don't have any problem if you put the flag of every nation in the world in the church, but to single out one nation is to say that this Jesus that we worship calls us to loyalty to one nation above all others? Because I've got to tell you, I am committed to justice for all people, not just for Americans. And I am committed to all of humanity, not just to Americans. I think that Jesus calls us beyond our identity as nationalists and calls us to be internationalists." - Tony Campolo

"Well, I think that what he called the 'Defense of Marriage Act' is ridiculous because I've got news for you-- it's not the gays that are getting divorced, it's the heterosexuals. If you want a defense of marriage bill, you will begin to put some restrictions on who can get divorces and how they get divorces. The problem with American families right now is not that the homosexuals want to get married, it's that the heterosexuals are getting divorced." - Tony Campolo

"When somebody tells me he's a Methodist, Baptist, or Presbyterian, it doesn't mean a thing. I want to know whether this person has a personal relationship with Jesus, whether he believes in the doctrines of the Apostles' Creed, and whether he takes the scriptures seriously." - Tony Campolo