Friday, February 04, 2005

Enough Already

I’m not sure what to think of this. As I was leaving Alicia’s room over in her dorm, I saw a flyer advertising a new weekly worship get-together in the lobby of the dorm. That got me thinking. How much is too much when it comes to “doing stuff.”

We’ve got chapel three days a week, we have passion groups, we have campus ministries, students are involved in churches, there are retreats for every group on campus, there are men’s groups, women’s groups, other special opportunities for worship, and the list probably goes on. Everyone seems to want to start their own spiritual niche, rather than contribute to the existing things that we have going on here. No wonder we have so many denominations in the world.

I guess my question is: is this wrong? Is it right? In one regard, people start all of these new programs/events/retreats/whatever with “good intentions,” trying to meet some “unmet” need, but do we have to have a separate ministry for every need? Do we need ministries at all if we are doing what we are called to do as Christians? I think that all of these additional ministries perpetuate the thinking we have here in America of distinguishing between the sacred and the secular. What we fail to miss out on is that there is no such thing as secular for a Christian. Christians are Christians, whether we are worshipping God or eating in the cafeteria. We take the Holy Spirit to Masterpieces of Literature as well as to Passion Group. We bear the image of God wherever we are. So then why is it that we feel obliged to create even more “spiritual” segments of time? And why is there never enough?

I don’t know what the problem is. I’m sure I’m a part of it somehow. Everyone thinks they can change the world, but they don’t want to start with themselves.